Tusan Bean Soup
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time : 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil, (approx)
- 1 large leek , (white and light green parts only), diced
- 1 potato , peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Savoy cabbage
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) white kidney beans or mixed beans, drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh oregano or fresh parsley, (approx)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 baguette
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic , halved
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté leek, potato and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add broth and 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cabbage, beans, oregano, salt and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Transfer 1 cup (250 mL) to blender and purée; return to pot and heat through. Serve sprinkled with more of the olive oil and oregano, and Parmesan cheese.
Garlic Toasts: Meanwhile, cut baguette into 12 slices; brush with oil. Broil until golden. Rub with garlic.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2010