Recovering from the Long Weekend: Starting Fresh
Last week I posted some tips and tricks for eating smart over the long weekend. I hope some of these helped you make healthier eating choices, but if you’re still harbouring some guilty feelings about over-indulging in the desserts (like I am), then here are some tips to help you get back on track!
1. Set new goals. Spring is here and the warm weather is starting to creep in. If you’ve already started your spring cleaning at home, why not “clean up” your unhealthy habits as well and give yourself a fresh start? Make a commitment to exercise regularly, eat “clean”, or set aside time to de-stress. Write your goals down and put them in a place where you can see them everyday. If you’re familiar with Pinterest, it’s a great way to keep a collection of pictures with inspirational quotes that will help motivate you. I have an “Inspiration” board in my room with pictures of my friends and meaningful quotes. I plan on adding a list of my new goals to it soon!
2. Start small. Trying to change a bunch of unhealthy habits at once can be overwhelming and make you want to give up. Start out with a few small changes and then go from there!
3. Buddy up. Find a friend that also wants a fresh start! Motivate one other to go for walks, pack healthy lunches, or go to the gym.
4. Be patient. Change doesn’t always happen overnight. Have patience, stick with it, and have confidence that you will get to where you want to be. Try to focus on how far you’ve come, instead of how far you still have left to go!
5. Visit the Wellness Centre. We have a wide variety of programs and services running that can help you achieve your goals! Trying to lose weight? The Smartest Loser Challenge, a 12-week weight loss/weight maintenance program, will be starting up again next week on April 17th! Participants in the last challenge lost over 180 pounds, collectively. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.