Tasty Tuesdays – Banana Muffins
The title of this recipe may not intrigue you immediately, but these muffins are fantastic and have no butter or oil!! I went through many trials (and ate a lot of terrible muffins), but eventually arrived at the ideal measurements. These muffins freeze very well…if you don’t end up eating them all when they are fresh.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg (can easily use egg whites too)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce * (in replacement of the butter)
- 1/2 cup yogurt (to replace the oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- cinnamon & nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pureed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup quick oats
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift flour into large mixing bowl, and then add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mash bananas, and stir in the vanilla, sugars, egg, yogurt and applesauce (add strawberries at this part). *I like to use 1 organic, unsweetened applesauce snack sized container.
- Pour banana mixture into the dry mix, and stir until combined (fold in oatmeal at this point).
- Grease a muffin tin (mini or regular sized dozen) and evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 min (12 cup tin) or 10-13 min (24 mini cup tin).
Muffins are one of my favourite snacks and when I looked up the nutritional information for, what I believed to be a healthy, banana muffin I was shocked. I won’t name any names, but after doing a little research I found that most muffins from big name chains have 300-400 kcal/serving. More specifically, I found one muffin that had 16g of total fat, 490mg of sodium and 27g of sugar…Wow!! I calculated the nutritional information for this recipe and it knocks the others out of the park. Per serving size, these muffins have 145 kcal, 1g of total fat, 240mg of sodium and 18g of sugar. Per serving, that is 52% less calories, 99% less total fat, 51% less sodium and 33% less sugar. So next time you want to make muffins, please try this recipe and I can assure you that you won’t miss all the oil and butter!!