10 Summer Strawberry Recipes
- Fresh Strawberry Sauce- served with fruit salad, with low fat plain yogurt, fromage frais and low fat ice cream. You can even spoon this fabulous strawberry sauce into glasses with chopped fresh fruit and plain yogurt to make attractive layered desserts. All you need to do is put 300g strawberries into a blender or food processor and blitz for 15-20 seconds. Pass through a nylon sieve to remove the pips (if you want to) then add a little powdered sweetener if necessary.
- Strawberry and Melon Yogurt- mix 75g of sliced strawberries mixed with 75g cantaloupe (orange-flesh) melon balls and 75g Galia melon balls. Serve with 2 tbsp low fat plain yogurt, or some fresh strawberry sauce.
- Super Strawberry Smoothie- whiz them in a blender with a whole host of favourite fruits. Try blitzing a small banana with 150g of strawberries, adding 4 tbsp low fat plain yogurt. Another time, zap the same amount of strawberries and yogurt with ½ medium mango. Yum!
- Slush Puppy- make double quantities of the Strawberry Sauce (above) then freeze in an ice cream maker until semi-solid. Enough for 2-4, depending on how cool you are. P.S. Make in the freezer if you like, stirring every half hour or so until the strawberry mixture looks like slush.
- Cottage Cheese Salad with Strawberry and Cucumber- rip up a Romaine lettuce (or any lettuce you desire) and put into a salad bowl with a few slices of cucumber, 2 chopped spring onions and 150g halved strawberries. Pile onto 2 plates and heap 100g cottage cheese on top of each. Sprinkle with finely grated lemon rind, lemon juice and ground black pepper.
- Strawberry Split!- for each person, halve a small banana lengthways and spoon in 2 scoops of light vanilla ice cream. Top with 100g sliced strawberries and spoon over 50g fresh Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Crumpet- toast a crumpet, spread with 1 tbsp low fat soft cheese and top with 1 large sliced strawberry (25g). Warm under the grill for a few moments, if you like, then drizzle with 1 tsp honey.
- Mini Strawberry Cheesecake- to make 4 small cheesecakes, take 4 ramekins or small ovenproof dishes and sprinkle 1 crushed reduced-fat digestive biscuit into each one. Add 1 tbsp unsweetened apple juice to each of them. Mix a 200g tub of low fat soft cheese with 1 beaten egg, 2 tbsp powdered sweetener and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Spoon into the dishes and bake at 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes, or until set. Cool, then top each one with 50g sliced strawberries.
- BBQ Strawberry Marshmallow Skewers- Thread 4 strawberries and 4 marshmallows onto as many wooden skewers as you like. Grill or barbecue for a few moments, turning often. Serve immediately.
- Strawberry Soufflé Omelette- Perfect for one when you fancy something sweet, yet healthy. Simply separate 2 medium eggs, whisking the whites until they hold their shape. Mix the yolks with 1 tbsp powdered sweetener and ½ tsp vanilla essence. Fold in the whites. Heat a small omelette pan and spray with low fat cooking spray. Add the egg mixture and cook over a medium heat until set, then place under a hot grill and cook until the surface browns lightly. Thinly slice 100g strawberries, put them on top of the omelette and grill for another few minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tsp icing sugar, then serve.