February is Heart Month
February is Heart Month and a good time of the year to reflect on your health! Did you know that heart disease and stroke are two of the three leading causes of death in Canada? And that 90% of Canadians have at least one risk factor for heart disease and stroke? Today, heart disease and stroke take one life every 7 minutes and 90% of Canadians have at least one risk factor.
Heart Month is the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s key opportunity to reach out to many Canadians and inform them of both the risk factors of heart disease and stroke, as well as steps to a healthier heart.
- Being smoke-free
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Participating in regular physical activity
- Limiting your alcohol intake
- Taking time to relax
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Avoiding salty foods like chips and salted, cured or canned meats
- Knowing and monitoring your blood pressure
To find out more information please visit the Heart and Stroke Foundation website: http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.2796497/k.BF8B/Home.htm