Tusan Bean Soup
Some nice hearty soup to warm you up on a cold day like today!
Tuscan Bean Soup
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time : 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , (approx)1 1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil, (approx)
- 1 large leek , (white and light green parts only), diced1 1large leekleeks, (white and light green parts only), diced
- 1 potato , peeled and diced1 1potatopotatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced2 2cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth 4 4cups cups(1 L) (1 L) vegetable broth
- 3 cups shredded Savoy cabbage 3 3cups cups(750 mL) (750 mL) shredded Savoy cabbage
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) white kidney beans , drained1 1can (14 oz/398 mL) can (14 oz/398 mL)white kidney beanwhite kidney beans or mixed beans, drained
- 1 tbsp minced fresh oregano , (approx)1 1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) minced fresh oregano or fresh parsley, (approx)
- 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 1/4tsp tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1/4 1/4tsp tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic Toasts:
- 1/2 baguette 1/2 1/2baguettebaguettes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 2 2tbsp tbsp(25 mL) (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic , halved1 1large clove garliccloves of garlic, halved
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté leek, potato and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add broth and 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cabbage, beans, oregano, salt and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Transfer 1 cup (250 mL) to blender and purée; return to pot and heat through. Serve sprinkled with more of the olive oil and oregano, and Parmesan cheese.
Garlic Toasts: Meanwhile, cut baguette into 12 slices; brush with oil. Broil until golden. Rub with garlic.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2010