Physical activity is an excellent way to start the day. However, it is often a challenge to summon the motivation to exercise on your own. You can lighten the burden on yourself by inviting your co-workers to join you:
- On the commute. Some people ride their bike, run or walk to work during the summer. Ask around the workplace to see if anyone else lives nearby you, and if so, ride, run or walk along with them.
- At the gym. Become a member of the UHN Employee Fitness Centre @ MedWest, take advantage of the UHN GoodLife Corporate Plan or join a local gym or community centre with colleagues and schedule your workouts together.
- In fitness groups. Accompany colleagues to a UHN Wellness Group Exercise Class. Is the Group Exercise Schedule not accessible? UHN Wellness will arrange group exercise classes for you and your colleagues through a program called Concierge. Contact us for more information.
During work hours
Some colleagues may have obligations before and after work, such as dropping their kids off at school or continuing education. There are many summer activities for you and your colleagues to do during office hours:
- Potluck picnic. An outdoor potluck is a wonderful way to enjoy the weather while sharing a meal. It allows you to taste a diversity of foods, learn about your co-workers’ cultures, and give everyone the chance to partake in a team event. Shared contributions are invaluable to bonding and team building.
- Outdoor meetings. If you have a meeting scheduled with your co-workers and the weather is nice, conduct it outside. Fresh air is a boon for clear thinking and stress-relief. If you don’t need any papers, pens or other utensils, step it up a notch and transform the meeting into a walking-meeting.
- Playing catch. Rather than take a coffee break, take a ‘catch-break’ with your colleagues. Skill is irrelevant when it comes to throwing around a ball or Frisbee. It is about getting some light exercise, enjoying the fresh air, great weather, and having fun with others.
UHN Wellness announces PLAY, an opportunity for you to connect with your inner child and to participate in games and activities that bring fun and joy. We need to play!
All UHN employees, physicians, volunteers and students are invited to join UHN Wellness for Throwback Thursdays, where we go back in time to the days of recess and the playground. Visit Wellness on the UHN Intranet for more information.